Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Those little special things

A page from a little book of my mum's shows expenses from October, 1965. It is a little time capsule of happy thoughts and links to another life and part of this continuing reality.

Dorothy Margaret Weldon, October 1965 :


Looks like Arthur's mum and dad received slippers, Auntie Eva, flowers, Bill, well nothing as of October and then "nan" which is a clue to something, a tiny little thing that for a family tree researcher can give light. Especially so that the particular "nan" follows Eva and Bill, so, my belief is that this refers to Charlotte Cottrill (nee Knight) who was the mother of Betsey (my mum's mother) and Eva (my mum's Auntie from the previous post).

Therefore, an amazing clue that Charlotte, my mother's grandmother, was still alive in October 1965 and that George Cottrill, my mother's grandfather, wasn't. I know that mum's grandparents on her dad's side had died in 1935 and 1940.

Charlotte, born around 1886, would have been almost 80 years old that Christmas. It redefines the visits to see Auntie Eva at the weekends when I was eight years old, because I believe Charlotte was living at that same house with Eva and Bill. Dorothy was visiting her nan.

All that from one line in a Christmas presents list.

Looks like I received some books (probably Dandy or Beano annuals) a battery operated Motor Bike (which I can remember) and a Mars Stocking, a selection box full of chocolate goodies.

Thanks for writing it all down mum.

No comments: