Monday, January 30, 2012

Eva Cottrill


I feel as though I forgot I had a grandmother on my mother's side of the family, the reason being that she died when I was three years old. I've talked about her before on the blog, her name was Betsey Edwards (nee Cottrill) born December 17th, 1907 and she died tragically on May 31st, 1961

She is there in the photo, the adult on the right with the dark coat and what appears to be a banana on her head.

The mysterious Auntie Eva is there too, she is the lady on the left with my Uncle Bob to her right. He actually was my Uncle Bob, married to my dad's sister Alda.

It was the 1911 census data that unlocked her relationship, her name is Eva Cottrill and she was Betsey's sister. Therefore, my Auntie Eva was actually my mum's Auntie Eva.

The lady standing next to her is another mystery, it could be her mother, Charlotte, but for some reason I believe it is Auntie Flo (Florence Edwards, my Grandfather's John Edward Edwards sister. Another of my mum's Aunties). In between this lady and Betsey is Mary Wright.

Eva Cottrill was married to William Copeland, who of course, we called, Uncle Bill.

I remember weekend visits to see Eva and Bill, they lived in a modest, bay windowed, terraced house, well furnished with wood floors and carpet runners, solid wood furniture and dressers, a chiming clock (in the best room) and that wonderful atmosphere of a coal heated dwelling.

No comments: