Sunday, February 26, 2012

Weldon, Welding, Wildon and Well Done....

The name game, I've discussed it before and my Weldon family firmly has documented roots with the Welding name, so today I have officially expanded the blog title to include, and rightly so, that surname.

John Welding, son of Thomas Welding, grandson of the John Welding highlighted in the last few posts, recounted a family story of the name:

"The whole tribe used the name Weldon until an Aunt in St Helens died leaving money, but the funds were only left to 'John Welding'. That led to a clarification that indeed the name was 'Welding' and John used the name from there after, those that didn't receive any money continued with 'Weldon'."

Graeme, my Scottish friend who kindled my interest in the family tree process, saw that and said to me: "So, that must mean that you come from the poor side of the family!"

The 1911 census gave me a particular puzzle, no sign of Joseph and Rachel Welding or Weldon, so I cross referenced some addresses, paid more to the census service and finally discovered the family again, this time, the enumerator had wrongly entered the surname as Wildon.

So as you can see, this research can be tricky.

I'll add that data in the next entry.

No comments: