Sunday, May 25, 2008

The name game.

I've discussed the fun involved with names in any genealogy process, and the information provided bt the Grandson of Alexandra Davies, Stanley Hill, highlights this quite well.

Alexandra Davies and Amy Weldon had three children, Jane, Isaac and Marjorie. If you look at the obituary, they are all represented.

Marjorie Davies, Stans mother, is there, she married Thomas Hill.

Jane Davies is also there, the second daughter listed is A.J.Riley and my assumption is that Janes first name was perhaps Amy, after her mother. She married a Mister Riley.

At first glance, Isaac is nowhere to be seen, and this is where information from family members is essential in the geneology process.

A few years back, I talked at length to the daughter of Frank Weldon, Doris. She now lives near Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada and she told me about "Alec Davis" who married Amy Weldon and had three children, two daughters and "Sonny" who was a sargeant in the Air Force, he emigrated and served with the New Zealand Air force.

In my notes I wrote "Alec Davis" because, that's what I heard Doris say. It's that soundex complication once again.

It was through Doris that I managed to talk to Jennie Lunt who told me more about Marjorie, Jane and Isaac, who was called Sonny.

The name game, thats the trick again, Stanley Hill told me that his grandfather had three children, two girls Madge and Jinny and one boy who was known as Sonny.

Madge was Stans mother. Jinny his Aunt went on to marry into the Lunt Family and lived in Rainhill, Lancashire and Sonny was in the R.A.F. and after World War Two joined the Royal New Zealand Air Force and moved out to New Zealand.

So, within the family, Marjorie becomes a Madge, (Amy) Jane becomes a Jinny and Isaac, for some reason, becomes a Sonny.

No comments: